Sunday, July 17, 2011

Song Review - "Up All Night" by Blink-182

It has been about eight years since blink-182 released a studio album and we got our first glimpse into the new project with "Up All Night". A song about the personal trials and inner demons with the intention of keeping "them" up all night, it can quite possibility be a reflection of what has happened between now and the last album in 2003. According to an e-mail from Mark Hoppus to MTV News, the song was actually one of the first songs that they created when they got back together in 2009. The core of the song was still there, but it has developed over time as new ideas kept coming to the surface. If they wanted to release a single, they could have done it when the tour. However, you can tell that they took their time and wanted to make things right.

You can't really compare the song to "All The Small Things" or "The Rock Show", however this song reminds me of "Feeling This". It has that mature sound that made them grow as a band. The side projects of "Angels & Airwaves", "Boxcar Racer", and "+44" proved to be helpful to blink-182 and its core members. For the blink-182 fan, it was amazing and awesome to hear some new music from them. As a fan myself, I was really excited for midnight on July 15th to hear the new song. As a follower of Mark Hoppus on Twitter when he tweeted that the new record was coming out in September and the single was being released at midnight, it brought me back to my high school days in the summer of 2001. I remember sitting the back of my friend Chris's corvette blasting "The Rock Show" cause I was one of the first people to get the song on a CD (Remember those?). It brought me back to my blink-182 concert, where they co-headlined with Green Day and got overshadowed. Even with that, I was gonna defend blink-182 over Green Day any day of the week. Anyways blink-182 is on a similar path that Green Day was in the late 1990s, and "Up All Night" is step towards their eventual destination.

Now as a HUGE blink-182 fan when I first heard "Up All Night", I thought it was alright. It didn't really impress me, and some fans really do feel the same way. It felt like a huge disappointment waiting all this time and you give us this? However, the more I listened to it, the more I started to really dissect it and enjoy the song. It's not a great song, but it's not a bad song. It's alright, so i'm really down the middle with this cause it reminds me of "Feeling This". I'm hoping that the album really produce some awesome songs and proves that blink-182 is back and back with a vengeance.

No comments:

Post a Comment