Friday, October 22, 2010

Song Review - "Club Can't Handle Me" by Tyler Ward and Cobus Potgieter

For those who don't know who Tyler Ward, join the club cause I have no idea who this guy.  However, I do know who Cobus Potgieter is.  Cobus is from South Africa and gained fame on YouTube with his drum covers.  I was searching for drum covers by blink-182 and i stumbled upon his YouTube channel and quickly subscribed to it.  He has covered everyone from blink-182 to 'N Sync, from Avenged Sevenfold to Kelly Clarkson.  My personal favorite is "Face Down" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, which is very beautifully done.  This kid has talent and plans on visiting the USA and Canada in Early 2011 for NAMM and other events.

One day, I logged onto YouTube and see a new video featuring Cobus with an American vocalist named Tyler Ward.  So, I clicked on it and got to listen to a cover of Flo Rida and David Guetta's "Club Can't Handle Me" from Step Up 3D.  Click on the video below to get a glimpse of the cover.



You heard the cover, now this is original.



Now, you can tell that these two are totally different from one another.  The original version was made as a club anthem produced by the one of the respected DJs in the business and the cover version was made with a rock arrangement tailor-made for both musicians.  Both versions are available for download on iTunes.  This post is for the rock arrangement of the song, which I think is the more musically pleasing version of the song.  I love both versions of the song, but why the rock cover?  The rock version brings the song back to its very roots as a simple arrangement that is adaptive to any style.  This cover by Cobus isn't as busy as some of his other covers.  Tyler Ward looks like the song was arranged to fit them both to show their talents together.  However, I think that this song doesn't serve them justice on how talented they are.

The song is too simple to be covered by a band.  Anyone out there can create a great version of this song.  It isn't too hard.  There isn't anything complicated about the song, which brings me back to the beginning to where I think the song can be easily arranged and changed around to fit anyone's style.  This song seemed like a safehouse for both of them not to have too many mistakes.  Don't get me wrong I like the song but for Tyler and Cobus, if they work together again they should perform a song to really showcase their talents.

Rating - 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment